A subsequent temporary fix involved drilling holes in the lid of a paint can to hold the pulley in place, since this part is proving to be surprisingly hard to find. I enjoy driving too much to take the car off the road long enough to remove the broken pulley and have it properly repaired, so this fix has become semi-permanent. Anyways, I digress...
1) I had to keep the car from overheating
2) I had to keep the battery from going dead
3) I had to keep the front window defrosted
4) I had to keep my hazard lights on
Using the defroster on maximum heat helped lower the temperature of the coolant (that was sitting in the heater core), but also depleted my battery quickly. As much as I was every so slightly stressed at the idea of being stranded on the side of the road, I started having fun trying to find the right speed to drive at. I discovered that at around 75 km/h, there was just enough forced cooling through the radiator and unlatched hood to keep the temperature below the maximum limit. It would seem that this was the 'sweet spot' where extra heat generated by running the engine was removed quickly enough from the cooling system, helped in part by occasionally turning the defroster up to full blast.